Saturday 17 June 2017

1987 Brunello di Montalcino, Mastrojanni

I have been impressed lately by young Skywalker´s attempts to grasp Brunello di Montalcino...:-)

Takes me back to my project, a couple of years ago.

But one have to drink the mature stuff to get a real grasp, right David :-) I have some more bottles...

1987 Brunello di Montalcino, Mastrojanni
Gabriele Mastrojanni bought this estate in Castelnuovo in 1975 and released his first Brunello in 1979. Now deceased, the property is owned by Illy but is managed in the same fashion as Gabriele intended.
This wine though, he has fostered.
The nose is, with some time in the glass, a dream with deep, round notes of dried leather, tapenade, balsam vinegar soaked black cherries, rosemary and the imaginary scent of walking in a 1000 year old forest. Absolutely gorgeous in its maturity, complexity and loveliness.
The taste is mature, velvety and rich with notes of dried strawberries, rosemary scented cherries, leather, asphalt and sugared coffee. Very long, warm and just wondrous. Soft tannins yet with a presence. A treat to drink 30 years after the vintage.
96p   (tasted 2017/06)



2 comments:

  1. Hahaha thank you master. Of course you're right. you have to dug in to the oldies to have the whole picture. Sorry to say the wallet is not deep enough to do all at the same time. At the moment it's all about 2012 but give me time. I won't fail you. I'm not afraid... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That´s fine, young Skywalker, I trust you...:-)

      Delete